Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Better

So, I think I said my giving up date was 28th July. Lots of events until then that I know I will go to and drink. So I am preparing myself.

Earlier, I was saying I was fretting about not wanting to go a buy a bottle of wine to drink before I went out.

I wanted it at 10am. I read some lovely comments (TY xx) and held out until 4pm. Then I got the wine.

I was going to a champagne tasting event and my (the demon talking ) thoughts were 'listen, you are going to be drinking anyway bird, a little glass of fizz while you're getting ready hey?'

Anyway, I went and I got it. Normally I would drink the lot, turn up pissed and it's all downhill from there. I can hide it well though (I think). I don't slur or fall over - that's not until the 3rd or 4th bottle normally.

I had two glasses and set off. It took me a good hour to get there on the tube.

I think I am heading in the right direction. I am home, safe and sound. I left early. I have no broken bones. I have an almost full bottle in the fridge but no inclination to touch it; and I spat tonight!!!!

How vulgar is that? hehe I deposited some champagne (about half of what I was given) into the spittoon. Never, ever, in a trillion years would I have done that before. (You are going to have to be a certain age and probably be a Brit to appreciate the picture here #SpitTheDog)

I know I can't moderate and I am not lulling myself into a false sense of security. I'm looking at this
as moving towards the day - the day it ends. 28 July. One step at a time.

Sxx


8 comments:

  1. Great job! Just being aware is the best part of preparation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks HD! I didn't have a hangover this morning either. I'm feeling a bit smug with myself - but I am too aware of where that leads - so I am unsmugging myself as I type :) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving Spit the Dog. Amazing.
    I did a little double take when I saw your giving up date of 28th July. It seems so far away. Then I remembered one holiday I had last year where my drinking was severely restricted. By the end of the week it was as if my brain had rewired and I wasn't craving wine as much as I normally would.
    Think you might be onto something here Shanti.
    SO x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, spit! I don't know where that memory came from. My theory is that rather than do the white knuckle stop immediately - I would try the gradual thing so that I don't panic and hit the booze and feel 50 shades of hopeless afterwards. x

      Delete
  4. Well done! As Sober Mummy says, small steps. Good feeling without a hangover huh? I am secretly smiling to myself as I realise that I, too, feel smug when I have only drunk what other people would think was a lot.......and on a Tuesday! Good start x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another hangover-free day - feels so goooood x

      Delete
    2. Blooming well done you! Keep it up, it will pay dividends xxx

      Delete
    3. Thanks love, feel great today but the stirrings are starting (from 12.30pm) x

      Delete